St Coelan’s Holy Well
Tuamgraney is undoubtedly one of the most important ecclesiastical and historical villages in Ireland. It is mentioned in the Annals no fewer than thirty two times between the years 735 and 1582. Its pagan past is recorded in its townland names, in pillar stones and holy wells. Its monastic past is recorded in the Annals and in the lives of the Saints.
This Holy Well is located along the road that leaves Tuamgraney towards Ennis.
St. Coelan lived between 690 and 750 and was associated with Inis Cealtra/Holy Island after the death of St Caimin and probably lived on the island for some time.
The ancient well was dedicated to him and was a place of pilgrimage on the Saint’s feast day, 29th July, up until recent times. According to an inscribed plaque above the well house it was built over the well in September 1803. This building was done by order of John and Anthony Brady & sons.
St Coelan is credited with writing “A Life of St. Bridget of Kildare” and this manuscript was preserved in the famous monastery of Monte Cassino in Italy, until its destruction during World War 2 in Feb 1944.